I talk a lot about my love of hoarding, vintage and especially about my Gran’s belongings, at Christmas it is a custom for us to have her fairy on the tree. We think it is from her early married days so probably mid 1930’s and sadly, is getting a little worse for wear so say the least.
My Mother allowed me to use it for the last two years, as she spent Christmas with us (Grandchildren change everything) and I figured it was about time I made a copy before the original disintegrates entirely. I had planned to make an exact copy of the original, in card and tissue, but realised that it would translate well into fabric so back in June when I was in ‘Wet Yorkshire Mode‘ I treated myself to some new silk and got working on a sample.
I am amazed at how slow my design progress was on this one. I sort of pottered on a bit every now and again, in fact, the silk inspired me to make my sweet pea cushions in July first.
By September I figured I had better get a move on so some of the bodies were made, M remarked at the time that they looked like aliens and I fear he was not wrong.
There are some rather cross and bog-eyed fairies in this batch but I rather think that’s the beauty of handmade, it would be boring if they were identical. The wings were a bit tricky to stitch in the slippery silk
but finally they are done, or the first few anyway. They are a little plumper than the original (but aren’t we all!) and the hair has a definite Tammy Wynette feel, I am sure if I was designing them from sctatch they would be a little more stylised but I am pleased with the result.
They are made in silk and wool, with the exception of the silver ric-rac. I am not a fan of using glue, don’t know why as there is no real reason, but I had to UHU then stitch the hair into place and the backs have a long ribbon for tying them into the tree, or looping so they can be hung as an ornament.
My final problem is trying get a true colour photo of the plum version. As you can see I haven’t really nailed that one yet, even outside in natural light the colour is very off, in reality it’s a bright plum purple.
I am not sure how I will price these, they take an insane amount of work and the silk isn’t cheap but the price has to be affordable so I’ll need to think on that one.
Right, only a few more days of hand sewing to get the rest finished!