The weather this week is totally freaky. For those that have seen photos of my studio, you’ll know it has a wall of glass that allows me to look out into the garden and mist into a dream world when I should be working ;), this week it has been tipping it down in half the garden whilst sunny and dry in the other half. Wierd. Today it’s just tipping it down and as it’s so wet, I’ve just given M a lift to the station because he broke his wrist yesterday in yet another bike accident. I’ve said this before, but if you are a road cyclist, please, please, please wear a helmet. M and I disagree in this, he doesn’t think it should be compulsory and he probably does know more about it than me, but having seen another totally smashed up helmet, I am very grateful he was wearing one.
So, I was going to take some pretty pictures of new flower brooches but in this gloom, that’s not going to happen, instead I’m going to show you a project from the summer that I already have photos of – Mrs Foxes in Green.
This is my original Mrs Fox, minus her cape. She has a shirring halter-neck dress, in liberty tana lawn. This has always posed some problems, the shirring is on such a small scale, I have to be very carefull to get the stretch just right, otherwise the dress is easily too tight or too loose, and tana lawn is too fine a fabric to cope with much unpicking!
When I made new foxes last winter, I made the green capes ready for a Green Mrs to go with the then new Mr Foxes but that was a far as I got with the girls. I was too busy making up Purple and Blue versions and ran out of time for Green ones.
Shuffle forward to July, when I found myself making up new foxes as part of my ‘get ahead’ list for this winter. I decided to have a re-think on the girl dresses and after a play around,
I came up with a dress very similar to the ones I made for the cashmere bunnies, so a kind of simple neck tie dress, with arm holes and in the case of Foxes, also a large space for the tail.
I found some pale green cotton lawn for the lining and I had hoped to sandwich some broderie anglaise lace between this and the liberty tana lawn, but realised I wouldn’t be able to get it to do the tight curve above the tail space so opted for some cotton ric-rac instead.
It works really well, I think, and I’m pleased with the final result.
Otherwise the design is the same. Same cape and a hand woven flower in the ‘hair’.
Here she is dressed.
And with the cape.
And hanging out with Mr Fox – I think they make quite a dashing pair!
They are listed here, along with the other foxes, including the remaining Mrs in Blue and Purple.