UPDATE: I just changed the name to Red Hand Apron and now I have the theme to the Red Hand Gang running through my head…..showing my age there 😉
Finally, something new to show you! I know, it’s a miracle!! To be honest, I had thought it might be the end of the summer holidays before I actually got around to getting anything photographed and listed, but we had a rare hazy cloud this morning, so before (the last, for a while – hurrah!) school run, I took some swift photos so I could finally share at least one of the new designs.
The idea for this design goes way back, actually to when I was scanning my Dad’s slides some years ago. The image of these jolly little dungarees, kindly modelled by my brother at some point in the late 70’s, coincided with my want to make an apron, I loved the idea of the simple red hand on denim. It was around this time, that I got distracted by the Apple Aprons, but the idea stayed with me and was always on the list of ‘must’ makes.
Skip a few years to early 2013, when I saw and bought this linen (Lecien-Isso Ecco and Heart – Red Birds and Trees), specifically for the project, but by then I was a bit aproned out and decided to take a break from sewing on miles and miles of bias binding.
This Spring, I became excited by the garden. I’d rather lost my focus in recent years, I find I feel a bit thinly spread sometimes and often it’s things like the garden that suffer, but with renewed enthusiasm I decided to get on with the gardening aprons (it was always an apron for the garden in my head, no idea why!) as it’s something I wanted to use myself. I pulled fabrics from stock and had a play to decide on the pocket details. After trying all kinds of ideas, including solid block stripes of linen at the top, I settled on a subtle line of ric-rac peeking out of the seam of the ‘hand’. I really like it, it adds a simple detail without going over-board.
There are a few changes in method from the apple aprons. I only included 2 pleats on the waistband and they aren’t stitched down plus they have been moved slightly further apart so they fall above the hand opening. The waist ties are not bound in bias binding, but have a little sandwiched between the seams, so it allows for the same look as the apple aprons but removes the nightmare that was involved in attaching those to the apron bib. It’s these little details that keep me awake at night. These bibs had been half stitched for some time, but I couldn’t decide on how to finish off the ties themselves, I imagine sewing things together in my head when I’m trying to sleep, which can be annoying but it usually results in a solution and I’m especially pleased with this one.
All the fabric is pre-washed (40 degrees, wool wash, because of the linen) and I was pleased to be able to use denim from my stash as well as the royal blue linen on the apron reverse. Because it was stash denim and I practically used every last inch, there is a single join in each of the apron tie lengths, but it’s quite neat looking so I’m happy with that.
They are listed here on my own website. My Folksy shop is rather neglected but I’ll be filling it up in September, when I come to list all the new stock.
I’m rushing to get this post written and published, I’d forgotten how long it takes to edit photos, and get the whole lot uploaded to the shop, or that I’d need to do this before blogging; but I’m keen to be done with this one before I pick the boys up.
I’m sure I’ll be blogging here and there, over summer, but if not, see you on the other side!