As predicted, the weather has turned and we’ve moved into Autumn proper, complete with its overcast, rainy days and a definite chill in the air in the mornings. On Facebook, there is even much talk amongst the Yorkshire folk of turning the heating on, of course if they are true Yorkshire people that wont happen until it reaches under 3 degrees (right A?! – hee hee).
With this in mind, I spent some of the weekend making use of the last clear skies to try to photograph anything black, with mixed results. I’d prefer better shots, but I’m aware of time slipping away so here we go with (first up) the witch mice specials.
There isn’t a lot to say here as it’s all kind of obvious. I had some green linen left over after sewing apple aprons and I couldn’t resist stitching up some little Elphaba style witches for Halloween, especially as I haven’t sewn a Linen Mouse Special for ages. Again, I had quite elaborate plans that didn’t entirely come to pass.
The body is made from black silk with pleat details and black crochet edged bias binding. I had thought about using some of my antique button stash for the embellishments, but when it came down to it, I just couldn’t bring myself to do so, I realised that the cost per button, verses the difference it would make to the finished mouse, instead of just using modern buttons wouldn’t scale, and I’d be sad to see the buttons go as I have been saving them for a special project for years.I was also a little bit worried about the fact that they are glass and might easily chip or break. In the end I sourced some little shell-like buttons for the shoes and some nice metallic looking numbers for the front of the dress.
What else? Oh I had imagined this little mouse to have a proper witches hat on, covered in feathers and some beading, but despite trying over and over I couldn’t get a pattern to work that fitted over the ear in any way and looked correct, so I opted for a beaded brooch that can be pinned on the head. I struggled quite a lot trying to get photos, I am no genius with the camera and really need to learn how to use it manually, for now I relay entirely on the editing tool in my iPhoto library or Photoshop, you can see from above how much difference it can make, and had really hoped to take some ‘life style’ shots but this is as far as I got.
I did take this last photo whilst I had some of my collected junk gathered together for use as possible props and it got me thinking that I might like to try some still life style set-ups in future, I just need to play around a bit more and see what works.
For now, though, the witches can be found here 🙂