For those who’ve been reading this blog for some time, you may remember that I once stitched a vampire mouse for my oldest son, he loves anything scary and both boys had requested special linen mice so a vampire and Batman version were created (you can read about it here).
After planning the witch mice, I didn’t want to leave the boys out and thought I’d add some little boy vampires, complete with capes and flouncy sleeves.
They are pretty much the same as the original, only I’ve used black silk where I had used linen and the medallion is a little tidier. I also didn’t add the embroidered blood dripping off the teeth as F was never entirely keen on that part!!
Of course, if there is to be a boy vampire, they really should be a girl too and I got quite excited over the idea of making her a nice beaded cape, I have a Victorian one in my collection that Mum once gave me and I went to find it for inspiration only to discover it wasn’t quite as fancy as I’d remembered it to be (still pretty though).
Instead I found this AMAZING Edwardian dress which I had totally forgotten I owned. It’s bigger than a lot of my other antique clothing in that it’s probably nearer a modern size 12, which is possibly why I’d passed it by, I was about a size 8 when I was in the phase of wearing the things I collected, I cringe now to think I regularly dressed in some beautiful, delicate, beaded numbers, it’s a miracle they survived.It’s quite faded in places and the silk is damaged but it’s covered in the most beautiful bead work, I spent quite a bit of time studying it before carefully packaging it back up and storing it away in a large trunk where I keep much of my antique clothing.I then went on an extensive search for beaded lace etc, to use on the little mouse capes, it was at this point I found the lovely panels I used on the vampire bags.
The cape ended up with a little bead fringe and some sequined lace pieces and is lined in russet silk. The rest of the mouse is essentially the same as the witch, partly because I had the supplies I needed already in stock, the crochet bias binding had been bought in a 25 meter roll and both coloured silks were in my stash, also as I’d spent time working out the best variants of the design for the witch already, there seemed little point trying to change things.She was super tricky to photograph with the face being in such pale linen and the body all black, I have to consider that I need all photographs to sit well together on my other site and for this I have a preference for pale backgrounds. I can imagine it would have been easier to use a coloured background but then they wouldn’t have matched everything else. Both vampires are now in the shop, a couple of you who are very quick off the mark have already spotted them, so thank you for that, they will be posted out today.
That’s the last of the Halloween themed things, I really enjoyed making them and maybe I’ll add more next year, but for now I need to move on to Christmas, I know it’s still ages away but in shop terms it’s not, I’ve already started selling little birds for the tree and some items intended as festive gifts. As for mince pies already being in the supermarket – no, I say! That’s just crackers 😉