School charity day and yet another opportunity for me to try and weasel out of making costumes for the boys to wear, in this case, a call for animal theme of their choice (I suggested a stoat, as F made a fab stoat mask some years ago for topic homework that is still stuck to his noticeboard in his room, but he was having none of it).
Under pressure, I agreed to make masks (to be worn with their own clothes as the pay-off). F asked for a wolf and C a ‘kitty-cat’. I forgot about it until the day before, when having a lovely ladies lunch, but luckily I remembered I had this pdf download from oxeyedaisey.
I used a mix of linen and tweed, as that’s what I had in stock and totally ignored the making instructions (which I have no doubt are brilliant) and went with the same method I used to make skeleton masks back in 2010 (see here), ie layering fabrics and interfacing and using various machine stitches to attach them together.
I thought they would be quick. They weren’t. To be fair, this was mainly time taken up with stupid things like hunting for fabric and elastic, but I got there in the end and I was quite pleased with the results. The cat is just the wolf pattern adapted, shorter ears and snout and added whiskers as C was very keen to get whiskers.
On a completely random note, Grimwith House came up for sale a few weeks back. It may already have sold, I don’t even look any more, as I get little flutters of want just at the idea. I’ve been hankering after this derelict property for many, many years, wondering why it was unlived in and unloved….it once belonged to my relatives. I could buy it but never afford to do it up.
Ah well, I’m sure someone will make a beautiful home of it and I’ll jealously try not to stare next time I’m walking up in the Dales 🙂